Marriage Application Information
Marriage License Applications accepted until 4:00 P.M. at 200 North Main Street, Suite 100, Vital Records, Ann Arbor, Michigan, phone 734-222-6720.
1. Men and women 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parents consent. Persons 16 and 17 must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent listed on the birth certificate, who must appear at the time of application, will be required. Valid identification of parent is required.
2. For purposes of marriage application, residency is determined by a current, valid drivers license or State issued ID card.
3. If one person is a Washtenaw County resident, you may apply in our office. The license is valid throughout the state.
4. If both persons are out-of-state residents, they must apply in the county where they are to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
5. The following is required of BOTH PERSONS at the time of application:
A. Valid Drivers license or State-issued ID showing a correct address.
a. Valid passport, U.S. or Foreign (with acceptable visa status, if applicable)
6. One or both applicants must appear to apply for the marriage license. If only one applicant is present, they must have all items listed above for both persons. Photocopies (front and back) of drivers license and birth certificate for applicant that is not present will be accepted.
7. Fee per couple: $20.00 Michigan Resident(s)
**Premarital counseling or testing is no longer required**
1. The marriage license becomes valid on the 3rd day following application.