You are here: Home Living Environmental Health and Services Healthy Community Portal Temporary Foods

Temporary Foods

Temporary Food ServiceFoods served to the public must be licensed and inspected by the local health department. If the foods are not made in a licensed restaurant, you may need a temporary food license. Temporary food licenses are for those events that last fewer than 14 days in which food is prepared and served to the public. Over 300 temporary food licenses are issued in Washtenaw County each year, at events ranging from a church's spaghetti supper to the vendors at the Ann Arbor Art Fairs. Food may be given away, or a fee may be charged. The person preparing the food may be part of a non-profit or a for-profit group. The goal of the temporary food license is to ensure that safe foods will be served at your event.

  • Watch our Temporary Food Vendor Training video for helpful food safety tips for your next temporary food event!
  • Application
    Please complete the application and submit to our offices no less than 5 business days prior to your event.
  • Temporary Foodservice Information
    Helpful information to assist you in understanding the requirements of a temporary food event in Washtenaw County.
  • Fees
    Current year fees for a temporary foodservice license in Washtenaw County.


For more information, please contact Kristen Schweighoefer.

Document Actions
Healthy Community Portal


The Healthy Community Portal provides information on environmental issues and available services for around your community. 

Also visit these portals:

This service is brought to you by Environmental HealthMSU Extension, and the Water Resources Commissioner.

Google Translate