You are here: Home Government Treasurer's Office Tax Foreclosure Prevention

Taxpayer Assistance

Tax foreclosure can occur once property taxes are delinquent for three years.  For example, 2015 property taxes became delinquent on March 1, 2016, forfeited to the county Treasurer on March 1, 2017 and can be foreclosed as early as February 2018.  We have created a tax timeline for the 2015, 2016 and 2017 tax years that includes more detailed information on the process.  Our office can assist you in:

  • Automatic or partial payment arrangements
  • Free, confidential, budget counseling
  • Locating community resources

One-Year Financial Hardship Extension from Tax Foreclosure

Hardship extensions are designed to delay foreclosure deadlines by one year for owners who are actively working to catch up their delinquent property taxes.  Please review the Hardship Policy & Application for more information.

Step Forward Michigan Program

Money is available to pay your property taxes, if you have had a financial hardship.  Step Forward Michigan received funds from the Federal Government to assist homeowners with delinquent mortgages and property taxes.  If you qualify for the program, they will pay up to $30,000 in assistance in the form of an interest-free, payment-free, forgivable loan.  You must have income to pay future taxes.  We can help you complete an application.  Call us to make an appointment, 734-222-6600 or apply directly at

Options for Lowering Your Property Tax Bill

  • Poverty Exemptions - Michigan law (MCL 211.7u) provides for a reduction in property taxes for eligible, low-income homeowners.  Every city, village, and township must offer an application process and set eligibility requirements that are no more restrictive than the federal poverty guidelines.  Please review the 2017 Poverty Exemption Guidelines for more information.
  • Property Tax Deferment - Seniors and certain disabled homeowners may be eligible for a deferment which allows them to pay their property taxes by a later deadline without additional fees or interest.  The deferment application must be filed with the city or township treasurer each year.
  • Appeal Your Property Tax Assessment - Do you believe your property tax assessment is too high?  You can appeal the current year's value at the March Board of Review.  Please review this brochure for more information.
White Seal Banner
Document Actions
Google Translate