Citizen's Police Academy
Topics covered but not limited to:
- History of the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office
- What Community Engagement is
- Our Community Outreach Program
- Problem Oriented Policing (POP)
- Neighborhood Watch
- Arrest Procedures
- Community Corrections
- Juvenile Detention Center
- School Resource Officers
- Teaching, Educating, and Mentoring (TEAM) Program
- Emergency Management
- Metro Dispatch
- Traffic Services Unit/Secondary Roads
- Subject Resistance and Control Training
- Firearms Training Simulator (FATS)
- Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT)
- Marine/Underwater Search and Recovery Team (DIVE)
- Mounted Division
- Honor Guard
- Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT)
- Special Investigations
- Corrections Programs
- Jail Tour
There are always some topics that we may add or subtract due to the nature of our work.
This is a great opportunity to ask questions and intermingle with your elected official (Sheriff Jerry Clayton) all the way down to your Deputies. Some classes are hands on so we definitely want you to enjoy the process and have fun.
Our hope for the Citizen’s Police Academy is to dismantle any myths or false perceptions the movies and televisions may have created and to allow you to know and understand more about your Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office.
Please contact Sgt. Beth Gieske at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-973-4694 for more information.