Part-Time/Temporary Court Officer
CLASS TITLE: Part-Time/Temporary Court Officer
DEPARTMENT: Washtenaw County Sheriff
DIVISION: Court Security
Temporary - This position does not provide any fringe benefits.
Under the supervision of a higher classified Sheriff's Office employee, the Court Security Officer is responsible for judicial security, courtroom security and ancillary support security functions. The Court Security Officer may be assigned to work at any Washtenaw County Court facility.
The Sheriff's Office is a seven (7) day per week, twenty-four (24) hour per day operation. Work schedules may include nights, weekends, holidays and unanticipated overtime. Court Officers are required to work a flexible work schedule.
- High School Diploma or completion of the General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.)
- Completion of college courses from an accredited college / university is desirable
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to the knowledge and skills required to perform the essential job functions will be considered
Required Skills & Abilities:
· Ability to exercise independent, good judgment.
· Ability to think quickly.
· Copy accurately and speak clearly and concisely.
· Ability to remain calm during stressful situations.
· Ability to effectively communicate and interact with various types of people.
· Ability to perform tasks requiring physical endurance and agility under frequently adverse conditions.
· The Part-Time Court Officer position requires reaching, sitting, talking, walking, hearing, seeing, standing, kneeling, crawling, and handling large amounts of weight.
Applicant must meet the following minimum qualifications to apply:
If you retired from a Law Enforcement Agency as a Police Officer or Corrections Officer:
- Must possess a valid Michigan Vehicle Operator's license
- Separation from law enforcement agency must be within the last five years
- IF MCOLES Certified, the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office will maintain certification
If you are not a retired Police Officer or Corrections Officer:
- Must possess a valid Michigan Vehicle Operator’s license
- Must have two years of continuous full-time law enforcement or corrections work experience
- Must complete the pre-employment law enforcement test provided by Empco and pass the MCOLES physical fitness test OR be MCOLES or MSCTC Certified or Certifiable
Registration information for the MCOLES physical test can be found at www.michigan.gov/mcoles. The Michigan Sheriff’s Association pre-enrollment written test information and registration is available at https://www.empco.net/msa.