You are here: Home Government Water Resources Commissioner What We Do Establish a New County Drain

Establish a New County Drain

Chapter 3 & 4 Petitions

You may petition the Drain Commissioner to establish a new county drain under Chapter 3 & Chapter 4 of the Michigan Drain Code.  

The Chapter 3 Petition must be filed first.  This will establish the lands that will encompass the Drainage District.  Once the District is Established and the Order filed, a petition package will be sent to you for establishing the Drain within the Drainage District.  It will be necessary for property owners to again petition the Drain Commissioner, this time to establish the Drain.  




For additional information please call 734-222-6860 or email

Document Actions

Environmental Excellence Partnership Program

We are launching a new program to assist businesses and non-profit organizations in recognizing, developing and implementing environmentally sound behavior in the areas of water quality protection, waste reduction & recycling and pollution prevention. There are three opportunities for participation:

  1. Community Partners for Clean Streams
  2. Pollution Prevention
  3. Waste Knot

Participation in more than one program is welcome and encouraged! Learn more on our brand new E2P2 website.

Google Translate