Washtenaw County Health Objectives for the Year 2020 - Physical Activity
In October 2008, a comprehensive set of physical activity guidelines for Americans was released by the U.S Department of Health and Human Services. The guidelines, developed by a 13-member advisory committee, are based on the first thorough review of scientific research about physical activity and health in more than a decade. Click here to view a reference sheet that presents the Guidelines for all population groups.
- Increase the proportion of children 6-17 years who attain at least 60 minutes of physical activity five days per week from 58% to 80%.
- Decrease the overweight or obesity rate in low income preschool children from 29% to 20%.
- Increase the proportion of adults who attain at least 30 minutes of moderate activity five days per week OR 20 minutes of vigorous activity three days per week from 49% to 62%.
- Increase the proportion of adults with a disability who participate in any physical activity for exercise during the past month from 59% to 79%.
- Decrease the proportion of adults who are overweight from 50% to 40%.
Healthy Older Adults
- Increase the proportion of adults 65 years and older who attain at least 30 minutes of moderate activity three days per week from 45% to 60%.
- Increase the proportion of residents with pedestrian sidewalks, paths, or trails in or near their neighborhood from 78% to 86%.
- Increase the proportion of residents using alternative modes of transportation (not driving alone) on their journey to and from work from 24% to 37%.