You are here: Home Government Departments Public Health Department Family Health Family Health Services Children's Special Health Care Services

Children's Special Health Care Services

— filed under:

Caring for Kids with Chronic Conditions.

CSHCS collage 2
Children's Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) helps to pay for specialty medical bills and to coordinate services for children and adults with certain eligible medical conditions. Families of all incomes are eligible to join, even those with health insurance.   

Join our Facebook group: Washtenaw County Families Connect. Our goal is to support local families with children with chronic illness, disabilities or special health care needs.

How does CSHCS help?

The CSHCS program works with families to provide the best possible care. CSHCS may be able to help with:
  • Paying specialty medical bills, including medications and equipment related to qualifying conditions
  • Identifying and locating specialty services 
  • Coordinating services and managing care 
  • Assisting with transportation needs for medical care
  • Covering co-pays and deductibles from private insurance, or helping maintain private insurance
  • Providing reimbursement for travel and lodging for medical care

Who can join CSHCS?

Eligibility is determined by a qualifying medical condition and residency, citizenship and age. CSHCS is open to:
  • Michigan residents 
  • Migrant farmworker families
  • U.S. citizens and some permanent residents
  • Individuals under age 21 or those over 21 who have certain blood clotting disorders or Cystic Fibrosis

Who do I contact?

Our local Washtenaw County Health Department CSHCS team is here to help. 

For medical questions, case management and coverage questions, contact our nurses:

For help with travel, renewals, billing, adding providers or changes in your income, contact information or insurance coverage, please contact Lisa Stoll at 734-544-9700 or
If you are a service provider or community partner, please contact CSHCS supervisor, Christina Katka at 734-544-2984 or

Travel and Lodging 

Please contact CSHCS before the dates of your travel. Mileage is reimbursed at the Medicaid rate. Contact Washtenaw County Health Department CSHCS representative Lisa Stoll at 734-544-9700 or

What should I do if I have a grievance or complaint about CSHCS?

If you have complaints or concerns with your CSHCS health care or your local CSHCS provider, you may contact the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Call the CSHCS Family Phone Line: 1-800-359-3722, email or write to: 

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Administrative, Tribunal and Appeals Division
PO Box 30763
Lansing MI 48909-7695

Additional Resources

Did you know? Many area pharmacies offer free medication delivery for their customers.
Document Actions
Google Translate