The Green Room - TV Show
The Green Room is a collaboration between the City of Ann Arbor's Community Television Network (CTN), the Washtenaw County Office of the Water Resources Commissioner and the Environmental Health Division. Airing of each new episode begins on the second Tuesday of the month on Channel 19, and continues throughout the month following this schedule: Mondays 11:30 AM, Tuesdays 5 PM, Thursdays 11 AM, Fridays 5:30 PM, Saturdays 10:30 AM, Sundays 7 PM. The show is produced by Barbara Lucas and Tim Nagae.
Below are the shows that have aired in chronological order. For a list of shows by topic, visit our Green Room page!
- July 15, 2016: Lake Management. Jeff Krcmarik, Environmental Supervisor with the Office of the Washtenaw County Water Resources Commissioner, and Lon Nordeen, with Michigan Lake and Stream Associations, discuss lake management for invasive species.
- June 6, 2016: Lake Management. Douglas Pullman, limnologist and owner of Aquest Corp, discusses lake management for invasive species.
- April 12, 2016: Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control. Katie Lee from the Office of the Washtenaw County Water Resources Commissioner discusses soil erosion - why we don’t want it, and how it can be controlled.
- March 8, 2016: Safely Sharing the Roads. Nate Phipps from Common Cycle discusses safety for all users of the roadways: drivers, cyclists and walkers.
- February 9, 2016: Environmental Excellence Program - "E2P2." Noelle Bowman and Catherine Wytychak from the Washtenaw County Water Resources Commissioner's Office discuss programs from helping local businesses prevent pollution and reduce waste.
- January 12, 2016: Bicycling Safety. Bob Krzewinski and Larry Deck from the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition discuss bicycle infrastructure.
- December 8, 2015: Vision Zero. Erica Briggs discusses the Vision Zero campaign and its goal to create a transportation system without fatalities for bikers, walkers, or drivers.
- November 10, 2015: School Recycling. Katy Adams and MacKenzie Maxwell from the Ecology Center discuss recycling in our schools.
- July 14, 2015: A Price on Carbon. Ginny Rogers and Dr. Louis Merlin from the Citizens' Climate Lobby discuss the carbon fee and dividend proposal for combating climate change.
- June 9, 2015: Baby's First Year. Jennifer Canvasser from the Ecology Center of Ann Arbor discusses ways to reduce the environmental impact of a baby's first year.
- May 12, 2015: Healthy Hospitals. Nicki Milgrom of the Ecology Center and Dan Bair of St. Joseph Mercy Hospital discuss how hospitals impact environmental health and what can be done to minimize those impacts.
- April 14, 2015: Rain Gardens. Susan Bryan, Rain Garden Coordinator for the Washtenaw County Water Resources Office, and Roger Moon, Master Rain Gardener, discuss what can be done in our yards to reduce storm water runoff and wet basements.
- February 10, 2015: Bats. Rob Mies, Executive Director of the Organization for Bat Conservation, discusses the serious threats to Michigan's bat species and what we can do to help them.
- January 13, 2015: Outdoor Play-based Education. Tara Habeck of Florecita Forest Kindergarten discusses the benefits of learning while playing outside in nature.
- December 9, 2014: "Green" Restaurants. Rodger Bowser of Zingerman's Deli discusses ways restaurants can reduce their environmental impact by cutting down on waste.
- November 14, 2014: Urban deer. Bernie Banet, a member of Washtenaw Citizens for Ecological Balance, discusses options and attitudes regarding the increasing number of White-tailed deer in southern Lower Michigan.
- October 14, 2014: The Carbon Footprint of Water. Pamela Labadie and Rebecca Esselman from the Huron River Watershed Council discuss how saving water saves energy.
- September 9, 2014: River Through Time. Interview with Brenda Bentley, author of River Walks Ann Arbor, about the natural and cultural history of the Argo section of the Huron River.
- May 13, 2014: Backyard Wildlife Habitat. Interview with Mary Mathias, founder of Washtenaw Wilderness, about creating healthy habitats in our yards to support declining native species and promote a balanced ecosystem.
- April 8, 2014: Motor Vehicle Speeds. Interview with Norm Cox, president of the Greenway Collaborative, about how car speeds affect the quality of life in a community and what factors influence them.
- March 11, 2014: Green Grocery Shopping. Interview with Kevin Sharp, Manager at People's Food Co-op Ann Arbor, about the environmental impact of our grocery shopping and how the stores are run.
- February 11, 2014: Bird-friendly Coffee. Interview with Julie Craves of the UM Rouge River Bird Observatory, about coffee agriculture and the effect on birds that migrate to Michigan.
- January 14, 2014: Bicycle Repair. Interview with Jayanthi Reddy and Jonny Lennon of Common Cycle, a local volunteer organization which helps kids and adults to repair their bikes.
- December 10, 2013: Preventing Food Waste. Interview with Miriam Akervall, Washtenaw County Environmental Health Division intern. Click here for the online Focus Group Survey.
- November 13, 2013: The Sharing Economy. Interview with Ryan Gourley, founder of A2Share.org, about local opportunities for sharing skills, tools, food, housing, etc..
- October 8, 2013: Spiders in our Local Ecosystem. Interview with Dr. Cara Shillington, Eastern Michigan University professor and researcher.
- June 11, 2013: Engine Idling in School Parking Lots. Interviews with Susan Hutton, Sheetal Patcheak, and Grace Lafreniere: citizens working to reduce unnecessary engine idling.
- May 14, 2013: Butterfly Gardening. Interview with butterfly expert Brenda Dzeidzic on using native plants to attract butterflies.
- April 9, 2013: Hand Papermaking. Interview with papermaker Timothy Barrett, the Center for the Book.
- March 5, 2013: Art Inspired by Nature, Part 3. Interview with poet Keith Taylor, the University of Michigan.
- February 5, 2013: Art Inspired by Nature, Part 2. Interviews with composer Evan Chambers and choreographer Jessica Fogel, the University of Michigan.
- January 1, 2013: Art Inspired by Nature, Part 1. Interview with visual artist Sara Adlerstein, who is also a biologist at the University of Michigan.
- December 4, 2012: New Directions in Solid Waste Diversion. Interview with David Stead, Resource Recycling Systems, and Tom McMurtrie, City of Ann Arbor.
- October 2, 2012: Bird Conservation. Interview with Will Weber, Hawk Migration Association of North America.
- September 4, 2012: Birding for youth. Interview with Sarah Toner, Washtenaw Audubon Society.
- August 7, 2012: LEED Certification. Interview with John Beeson, of Leadership for Energy and Environmental Design.
- June 5, 2012: Reskilling. Interview with Laura Smith, doctoral student at the University of Michigan.
- May 1, 2012: Engine Idling. Interviews with Dr. Sara Adar, of the UM School of Public Health, and John German, of the International Council on Clean Transportation. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- April 3, 2012: Great Lakes Islands. Interview with Dr. Karen Vigmostad, of the US/Canada Great Lakes Islands Project.. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- March 6, 2012: Natural Burials. Interview with Merilynne Rush, of After Death Home Care. Click here and here for additional resources on this topic.
- February 7, 2012: The Ecological Effects of Deer. Interview with Randy Baker of Naturalist Endeavors. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- January 3, 2012: Locally-grown Food. Interview with Jill Sweetman and Nathan Lada of Green Things Farm. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- December 6, 2011: Non-native Invasive Plants. Interview with Doug Tallamy, the University of Delaware. (This is a follow-up to a previous interview with Dr. Tallamy). Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- November 8, 2011: Energy Efficient Heating/Cooling & Appliances. Interview with Nick Helmholdt, Clean Energy Coalition. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- October 4, 2011: Water Quality: It's in Our Hands. Interview with Janis Bobrin, Washtenaw County Water Resources Commissioner. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- September 6, 2011: Palm Oil and Rainforest Deforestation. Interview with Madi Vorva and Rhiannon Tomtishen, Greenhills School. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- August 2, 2011: Shoreline Landscaping. Interview with Julia Kirkwood, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- July 5, 2011: Beekeeping as an Educational Tool. Interview with Jane Levy, environmental educator. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- June 7, 2011: Toxins in Toys. Interview with Jennifer Canvasser, the Ecology Center. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- May 3, 2011: Outdoor Play. Interview with Elizabeth Goodenough, the University of Michigan. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- April 5, 2011: Invasive Garlic mustard. Interview with Lisa Brush, the Stewardship Council. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- March 1, 2011: Building Near Water. Interview with Elizabeth Riggs, Huron River Watershed Council. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- February 1, 2011: Pesticides and Pollinators. Interview with Richard Mendell, Beekeeper and Educator. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- January 4, 2011: Mercury. Interview with Jeff Krcmarik, Washtenaw County Environmental Health Division Supervisor. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- December 7, 2010: Invasive Phragmites. Interview with Gary Crawford, aquatic biologist. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- November 2, 2010: Weatherization. Interview with Aaron Kraft, Weatherization Program Coordinator for Washtenaw County. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- October 5, 2010: Green Roofs. Interview with Dan Jacobs, A3C Collaborative Architecture. Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- September 7, 2010: Landscaping for Insects. Interview with Doug Tallamy, Author of "Bringing Nature Home." Click here for additional resources on this topic.
- August 1, 2010: Energy Efficient Lighting. Interview with Deb Heed of the Clean Energy Coalition's Energy Outlet. Click here for additional resources on this topic.