Environmental Excellence Awards Program
The Environmental Excellence Awards Program aims to recognize businesses and non-profit organizations in Washtenaw County that provide leadership in environmental protection and practice environmentally sound behavior in the areas of water quality protection, waste reduction and recycling, and pollution prevention.
- Compliance with local, state, and federal environmental regulations;
- Implementation of innovative environmental initiatives above and beyond legal requirements;
- Submission of necessary plans and reports, e.g. Hazardous Materials and Waste Spill Response plans, Water Quality Action Plan, Solid Waste Generator Reports, Pollution Prevention Status Sheets, etc.;
- A demonstrated commitment to our environment and community.
A steering committee facilitates the award process, including the recommendations of businesses or non-profit organizations to receive the award. The committee consists of Washtenaw County staff from the Office of the Water Resources Commissioner and Public Health's Environmental Health Division.
Please join Washtenaw County in congratulating these organizations for their commitment to improve environmental quality!
- Overall Environmental Excellence – St. Joseph Mercy - Ann Arbor
- Waste Reduction and Recycling Award – Starr Valley Farms
- Water Quality Protection Award – Fox Hills Golf & Banquet Center
- Pollution Prevention Award – Elastizell Corporation
Read the Press Release announcing the 2014 Environmental Excellence Award winners.
- Waste Reduction and Recycling Award – Village Pharmacy II
- Water Quality Protection Award – Ann Arbor District Library
- Pollution Prevention Award – Superior Materials
Read the Press Release announcing the 2012 Environmental Excellence Award winners.
2012 Environmental Excellence Award: Village of Dexter
The Village of Dexter has exhibited exceptional behaviors in waste reduction, water quality protection and pollution prevention.
- 2012 Excellence in Water Quality Protection Award: Radrick Farms Golf Course - University of Michigan
- 2012 Excellence in Waste Reduction and Recycling Award: Wylie Elementary School
- 2012 Excellence in Pollution Prevention Award: The Trenton Corporation
2012 Environmental Excellence Award Winners, from left: Village of Dexter, Donna Dettling; The Trenton Corporation, Steve Field; Wylie Elementary School, Scott Bartz; Radrick Farms Golf Course, Paul Scott & Dan Mausolf.
2011 Environmental Excellence Award: Chrysler Group LLC - Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea
For exceptional behaviors in waste reduction, water quality protection and pollution prevention.
- 2011 Excellence in Water Quality Protection Award: Washtenaw County Parks and Recreation Commission
Honorable Mention in Water Quality Protection: Horiba Instruments, Inc.
- 2011 Excellence in Waste Reduction and Recycling Award: Leslie Science & Nature Center
- 2011 Excellence in Pollution Prevention Award: ITC Holdings Corp
- 2010 Environmental Excellence Award: The National Sanitation Foundation (NSF)
For implementing a comprehensive waste reduction and recycling program, constructing a model stormwater and erosion control system involving native plants, and keeping toxic materials out of the waste stream.
- 2010 Excellence in Water Quality Protection Award: Barton Hills Village
For its innovative stormwater management system and use of native plants in landscaping.
- Honorable Mention in Water Quality Protection: Earthen Jar Vegetarian Cuisine
- 2010 Excellence in Waste Reduction and Recycling Award: Four Points Sheraton of Ann Arbor
For its extensive recycling program, purchasing of recycled products, and fostering a conservation ethic among its employees.
- Honorable Mention in Waste Reduction and Recycling: Greenhills School of Ann Arbor
- 2010 Excellence in Pollution Prevention Award: Sensor’s Inc. of Ann Arbor
For reducing the use of toxic substances and preventing pollution before it is produced.
Waste Knot Program: Provides community-wide recognition and organization-based technical assistance and education to businesses, schools, governmental agencies and non-profit organizations that demonstrate leadership in waste reduction and recycling to protect our environment and to improve their bottom line. Partners receive service discounts, discounted advertising, and much, much more. APPLY TODAY!!
Community Partners for Clean Streams: Community Partners for Clean Streams is a cooperative effort between the Washtenaw County Water Resource Commissioner's Office and Washtenaw County businesses and institutions with a common goal to promote business practices that protect Washtenaw County's watersheds and waterways.
Pollution Prevention Program: The Pollution Prevention Program is responsible for inspecting facilities that store, manufacture, or use hazardous, toxic, or polluting materials. Inspectors ensure that facilities utilize and dispose of hazardous materials properly, thereby preventing environmental contamination. This program operates in accordance with the Washtenaw County Pollution Prevention Regulation.