3723 Plaza Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
We began making cheese and gelato as Zingerman’s Creamery in 2001, when a growing desire to offer traditional, old fashioned hand-made cream cheese at Zingerman’s Delicatessen in Ann Arbor led John Loomis, Ari Weinzweig and Paul Saginaw to establish a world-class creamery. The very first cheese we made was our Real Cream Cheese, which has been hailed by the New York Times as a cheese that “stands alone.” The cream cheese is modeled after a recipe that dates back to the 1930s, and exemplifies a guiding principle that informs the way we make all of our products, namely: make cheese and gelato in a traditional, preservative-free manner, allowing as much time as necessary to produce the most robust flavors that both honors and builds upon a legacy of really great food.
All of our cheeses are made from the best local milk we can find. We use Calder Dairy in Carleton, MI and the Schneider Family Organic Dairy in Westphalia, MI for our cow’s milk. We source our goat’s milk from various small farmers in our region. In addition to our lineup of fresh cheeses, we make a variety of soft-ripened cheese, one hard raw cow’s milk cheese, and award-winning gelati and sorbets. To preserve the incredible flavor of the fresh milk we receive, we use old-world techniques coupled with the most precious of resources, time. All of our cheeses are hand-ladled to preserve the delicate characteristics of the curd and we use uncommonly-long sets to draw out a full, complex flavor and a low-heat, long pasteurization to maintain that flavor. All of the same traditional cheese-making methods are transposed to our hand-made gelato and sorbet for a flavor that we feel is second-to-none.
Sustainable Business Practices
- Comprehensive recycling and compost programs. Our compost system accepts all organic material including meat, bones, raw dough, paper toweling, etc.
- Zero Waste education
- Sustainable purchasing initiatives
- Green Cleaning
- Green House Gas metrics. Carbon footprint calculated annually following GHG protocol for scope 1, 2 and some scope 3 emissions
- Facilities Energy Audit
- Planet Zingerman's internal committee with reps from most businesses works on sustainable initiatives
- Expansion plans feature highly efficient closed loop systems plus heat and hot water recapture.
- 97% local ingredient sourcing.