Great Lakes Science Center
The Great Lakes Science Center exists to meet the nation's need for scientific information for restoring, enhancing, managing, and protecting living resources and their habitats in the Great Lakes basin ecosystem.
The Center is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and has biological stations and research vessels located throughout the Great Lakes Basin. The precursor to the current Center's programs began in 1927 when investigations of the collapse of the Lake Erie cisco population were initiated by the Center's first director, Dr. John Van Oosten. Our research spans a range of studies including fish populations and communities, aquatic habitats, terrestrial ecology, nearshore and coastal communities, and the biological processes that occur in this complex ecosystem of the Great Lakes.
The Great Lakes Science Center is part of the Biological Resources Division of the U.S. Geological Survey. They help protect the local environment by recycling paper, glass, plastic and aluminum items and reusing many office items. The Center also donates extra packing material to a local packaging/mailing store for reuse. They implement a waste oil recovery system and send their old computers to a local electronic recycling facility. Unlike many other labs, the Center minimizes the waste of hazardous lab chemicals by only ordering what they need, even when the bulk rates give them a discount. In order to ensure their programs success, the Great Lakes Science Center has a designated recycling coordinator and created a recycling guideline memorandum.