Recycling, Home Toxics & Solid Waste
Topics of Interest
- Become a Certified Master Composter!
Transform yard debris and kitchen scraps into a nutrient-rich, natural soil amendment. Learn to compost with red worms, compost tea and other agents. This program is coordinated by Project Grow and is designed for the general public, for Master Gardeners to continue their organic gardening education, and as a follow-up to the Project Grow’s Organic Gardener Certificate series. Michigan Master Composter certification is available if you pass the take-home exam and volunteer 10 hours in the community. 7-week course, begins September 30, 2015.
- Upcoming Clean Up Days: We will host an environmental clean-up day on Saturday, October 17, 2015! We will be at EMU's Rynearson Stadium at 799 N. Hewitt, Ypsilanti from 9am-2pm.
- Clean Sweep Program: Provides FREE pesticide disposal for businesses and residents. Follow the link to learn about the program, what is accepted, and how to make an appointment.
- Issues of the Environment Radio Show: Airs every Wednesday morning from 8:20-8:30am on WEMU's 89.1 FM. Tune in each week to hear about environmental issues, programs and news impacting our community!
Waste Knot Program: A collection of businesses, schools, government agencies and non-profit organizations committed to reducing waste and protecting our environment!
READ: Staying in the Loop, INTERACTIVE Newsletter - Spring 2014 Edition
Michigan Green Schools Project: Is your school a "green" school? For more information on this great project or to get an application, contact Jeff Krcmarik from the Washtenaw County Environmental Health Division.
Western Washtenaw Recycling Authority: WWRA is a non-profit program that is subsidized by a group of six local communities that work cooperatively to implement residential recycling programs in the Townships of Dexter, Lyndon, Bridgewater, Manchester, Lima and the City of Chelsea. The townships are served by convenient drop-off centers, while the City of Chelsea has weekly Curbside Recycling pick up.
- 3R Business Directory: A compilation of local organizations that make use of sustainable practices and are recognized members of the Waste Knot Program.
By the Numbers: Review our 2014 Solid Waste Program Report and the 2015 Chelsea and Northfield Township Clean-Up Days Report to see the impact our programs have had in the community!