You are here: Home Government Departments Environmental Health Day Cares

Day Care Centers, Children’s Camps & Foster Care Homes

Day care centers, children’s camps, and foster care homes are licensed through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Washtenaw County inspects these facilities as part of an agreement we have with DHHS.

Part of the requirements to operate may include a radon test, depending on your type of facility. Typically, Family & Group Child Care Homes require a radon test of the lowest level of the home, with results showing the level to be below 4.0 pCi/L. Check with your licensing consultant to see if this requirement applies to you. If radon testing is required, please contact Angie Parsons at (734) 222-3869 for a free radon home testing kit!

If you wish to open a day care facility, your first step is to contact the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Licensing Unit at (517) 241-2488, or Toll Free at 1-866-685-0006. You can also go to the DHHS licensing website for specific licensing informtion.

If DHHS requires you to have an Environmental Health inspection, you will be given an Environmental Health Inspection Request Form. Please complete the form and submit a copy to our office with a payment. A listing of current fees, as well as a Credit Card Authorization Form can be found on our Applications, Forms & Fees page. Mail or fax your form with payment to our office.

  • If mailing, mail your completed Environmental Health Inspection Request Form and check, money order, or completed Credit Card Authorization Form to:
    Washtenaw County Environmental Health
    705 N. Zeeb Rd., P.O. Box 8645
    Ann Arbor, MI  48107-8645
  • If faxing, please use the Credit Card Authorization Form, as your application will not be processed without a payment. Fax the completed  and completed Credit Card Authorization Form to:
    Attn: Tonya Harwood

Once the inspection request form and payment are received, a Sanitarian (health inspector) will contact you to schedule an appointment for your inspection. The Sanitarian will use the requirements listed in the Licensing Rules for Child Care Centers. Specifically, we look at the information listed under Part 2 – Environmental Health Provisions on pages 24-33. If applicable, we will also look at Part 5 – Swimming Provisions on pages 45-46.

For more information, please contact the
Washtenaw County Environmental Health Division at (734) 222-3800.

Document Actions
Google Translate