Job Seeker Services
The Washtenaw County Michigan Works! Service Center (MWSC) is available to everyone in the community who is interested in exploring career options, searching for a new job, going back to school for retraining, or starting a business. Located in Ypsilanti, the MWSC cultivates a unique partnership between workforce and economic development contributing to the vitality of the Washtenaw County community.
The Michigan Works! Service Center staff can assist you in:
- Completing your Unemployment Registration with the State of Michigan.
- Developing a short and long-term Career Plan.
- Researching employment trends to identify pockets of opportunity matching your strengths.
- Writing an accomplishment-based resume to target jobs or occupations aligned with your Plan.
- Using the internet and networking strategies to implement an effective job search.
- Identifying Hot Job Leads.
- Practicing interviewing and negotiating skills.
- Connecting to local employers with job openings.
- Receiving on-the-job or customized training for a specific job.
We also offer supplemental activities including:
- Job Club – Meet bi-weekly with other Career Transitioners for facilitated discussions on job search and lessons learned, to provide support and strategies, and to allow you the opportunity to build and expand your professional network.
- Networking in the 21st Century – Explore online networking and learn strategies on making the most of other networking opportunities.
- Resume Clinic - A professionally staffed open lab where you can receive valuable assistance with crafting your resume.
Current Schedule of workshops, activities and events at the Michigan Works! Career Transition Center.
What job seekers have said about the services offered at the Michigan Works! Service Center:
"Thank you for restoring my sense of hope!"
"This is a Ph.D. in job search. Well done! Thanks!"
"I think this program is the stuff that I needed to get me moving again with my life."
"This program has strengthened my belief that I can accomplish something positive at age 56."
"Excellent workshop and series that has provided me with the structure and focus to significantly help me on my journey for a new career. Thank you very much!"
"Awesome workshops which exceeded my expectations! I would recommend them to others."
For more information, visit or call:
The Michigan Works! Service Center
304 Harriet Street, Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Hours: 8 AM - 5 PM Monday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday
8 AM - 7 PM Tuesday
Michigan Works! is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program that is supported by the State of Michigan, 1-800-285-9675. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request for individuals with disabilities.
The Washtenaw County Office of Community and Economic Development (OCED) is the local Michigan Works! Agency (MWA) and administrative entity for the Workforce Investment Act (WIA). OCED invites public comment regarding its request to the Workforce Development Agency State of Michigan (WDASOM) to waive regulatory prohibitions on 1) reimbursement amount for On-the-Job Training for small and medium sized employers, and 2) ability to use up to 20% of local WIA formula funds for incumbent worker training as a layoff aversion strategy. Approval of the waiver request benefits both employers and job seekers. Waivers can assist in ensuring that workers enhance their skill levels to avert layoffs, while increasing the potential for career advancement within their industries. Moreover, with a skilled and productive workforce, businesses are able to grow and create new jobs as product lines and customer bases expand.
The waiver request is provided for your review here. Comments or questions on this waiver should be sent electronically to Rana Al-Igoe at email@example.com no later than 5:00 pm on Friday, May 31, 2013. Thank you.