Fair Housing in Washtenaw County
Fair Housing Choice in Washtenaw County
Washtenaw County is committed to upholding the Federal Fair Housing Act (Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968) and Michigan’s Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act and the Persons with Disabilities Civil Rights Act. It is the County's policy to provide services without regard to race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, physical handicap, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, religion or political belief. Washtenaw County is committed to affirmatively furthering fair housing efforts by promoting fair and equal housing opportunities for all residents and fostering inclusive communities.
Fair housing can be defined as a condition in which individuals of similar income levels in the same housing market have a like range of housing choice available to them regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, familial status, source of income, sexual orientation, or disability.
Housing discrimination is unjust or prejudicial treatment of individuals, in the area of housing and real estate, based on the individual's protected class. Illegal housing discrimination can take many forms, including:
- Realtors showing apartments or homes only in certain neighborhoods
- Advertising housing only to preferred groups of people
- Refusal to provide mortgage loan information
- Discriminatory property appraisals
- Refusals to make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities
Fair Housing Complaints
If you believe you have been denied housing or the opportunity to apply for housing in Washtenaw County because of a protected characteristic, you may contact one of the following agencies:
- Fair Housing Center of Southeastern Michigan on the web by clicking HERE, or by phone at 1-877-979-FAIR
- Michigan Department of Civil Rights (MDCR) on the web by clicking HERE, or by phone at 1-800-482-3604
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity on the web by clicking HERE, or by phone at 1-800-669-9777
Analysis of Fair Housing Impediments
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires that all communities receiving federal housing and community development funding complete an Analysis of Impediments (AI) to Fair Housing Choice. An AI was completed for Washtenaw County in 2007 and can be found HERE. Washtenaw County actively works to address the impediments to fair housing highlighted in this analysis.