You are here: Home Government Departments Community and Economic Development Economic Opportunity Historic Preservation Feb 09 site update home local_historic_districts Washtenaw County Local Historic Districts

Washtenaw County Local Historic Districts

geer_school.jpgGeer School (Study Committee Report)
9981 West Ann Arbor Road, Superior Township - Designated 1989

From 1880 to 1982, this one-room, red brick school represented an important era in Michigan education and was a center for community life. Named for William Geer, the first school director, and built by Joseph Warner of Ypsilanti, the school featured side-by-side entrances for boys and girls, a slate blackboard, a woodshed, and two outdoor privies. Water was carried in a bucket from across the road.

popkins_school.jpgPopkins School (Study Committee Report)
2385 Old Earhart Road, Ann Arbor Township - Designated 1981

Named for the first superintendent of School District No. 7, Popkins School was constructed in the Italianate style in 1870. It is one of four remaining one-room schoolhouses along the Plymouth Road corridor and the closest to the City of Ann Arbor. Fire and years of neglect adversely impacted this resource. In a successful preservation endeavor, the schoolhouse was stabilized and given a new roof structure in 2001.

esek_pray.jpgEsek Pray House (Study Committee Report)
8755 West Ann Arbor Road, Superior Township - Designated 2000

Replacing an earlier log house, this 1839 two-story brick Greek Revival Residence was part of a large farm purchased by Esek and Sally Hammond Pray. A member of the gFrostbitten Conventionh of December 14, 1836, Pray participated in the First Michigan State Legislature and held the office of Justice of the Peace of Superior Township for 24 years. The diaries of son George, a member of the first graduating class of the University of Michigan in 1845, are housed in the Bentley Historical Library and give a vivid picture nineteenth century life.

geer_house.jpgMilton & Kittie Geer House (Study Committee Report)
8605 West Ann Arbor Road, Superior Township - Designated 2001

This brick Italianate home was built about 1884 for Milton and Kittie Kimmel Geer. The exterior detailing features cast iron cresting, carved wooden brackets, sawtoothed moldings and matching rectangular one-story bays. The original floor plan and interior walnut woodwork are remarkably intact.

gordon_hall.jpgGordon Hall (Study Committee Report)
8341 Island Lake Road, Scio and Webster Townships - Designated 2001

Judge Samuel W. Dexter commissioned Calvin Fillmore, brother of President Millard Fillmore, to construct this impressive Greek Revival house (1841-1843). The six Doric columns of the temple-like portico look out over 67 gently rolling acres of farmland, all that remain of the original 1700-acre estate. Two one-story wings extend beyond the main core of the house and are connected in the rear by a one-story colonnaded piazza. The original house featured 22 rooms, nine fireplaces and 55 windows with interior shutters. The first judge of Washtenaw County, Judge Dexter was renowned for his efforts in bringing settlers to Michigan, including founding the village of Dexter, serving as postmaster, developing the railroad, and publishing the Western Emigrant newspaper. A staunch abolitionist, Dexter was a gconductorh on the Underground Railroad. There is substantial evidence that fugitive slaves on the path to freedom in Canada used Gordon Hall as a gstation.h

mccormick_farm.jpgWilliam and Jane McCormick Farm (Study Committee Report)
9105 West Ann Arbor Road, Superior Township - Designated 2004

William and Jane McCormick purchased their 160-acre farm in 1831. This farmstead, now 13.65 acres, consists of an 1838 brick residence, raised barn, apple barn, apple mash house, milk house, machine shed, concrete watering trough, chicken coop, outhouse and silo. Its rural setting evokes Michigan farm life in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

old_zion_parsonage.jpgOld Zion Parsonage (Study Committee Report)
2905 South Fletcher Road, Freedom Township - Designated 2003

The vernacular Gothic revival-style parsonage played an important role in the German settlement patterns, and religious and social history of the county. The parsonage and church formed the center of the hamlet, Rogers Corners, with the minister a leader of far more than just religious activities. With the Old Zion church, schoolhouse ruins, English barn, and parsonage, one can still imagine the 19th-century ethos of Rogers Corners.

mcmahon_springs.jpgMcMahon Springs (Study Committee Report)
2426 Whitmore Lake Road, Ann Arbor Township - Designated 2004

This property sits on a small rise facing west, and consists of a farmhouse and a garage converted from a Dairy Barn on 1.4 acres of land. The long driveway leads past the Italianate residence on the north and a meadow and a vegetable garden to the south. Other landscape features include three springs and a trout pond.

merriman_farm.jpgMerriman Farm (Study Committee Report)
15490 Buss Road, Manchester Township - Designated 2004

A 78-acre historic farm, including a farmhouse, two barns, an outhouse, and a pig house in a setting of rolling acreage. Wetlands and woodlands are included in the district as well as large open fields. The 19th century farmhouse is situated on a rise on a treed lane of mature sugar maples. The views from the farmhouse encompass farmland to the south and east. In 2006, this local historic district was also honored by a historic marker from the WCHDC.

delhi_bridge.jpgEast Delhi Bridge (Study Committee Report)
East Delhi Road over the Huron River, Scio Township - Designated 2007

The East Delhi Bridge is a single-span, Pratt through truss wrought iron bridge. It spans the Huron River just south of Huron River Drive as an extension of East Delhi Road in Scio Township. Due to confusion surrounding its reconstruction after a tornado in 1917, this bridgefs date of construction is subject to debate among local experts. The bridge connects Huron River Drive to the unincorporated village of Delhi Mills, founded in the 1830s, and the site of several mills in the late nineteenth century. Notably, the East Delhi Bridge is the only bridge in Michigan to receive local historic designation. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.

conant_farm.jpgConant Farm (Study Committee Report)
5673 and 5681 Napier Road, Salem Township - Designated 2008

This rural farmstead consists of two early nineteenth century farmhouses and over a dozen agricultural outbuildings/objects. It is representative of the mid-twentieth century truck farm as it evolved from an early nineteenth century homestead to an early to mid-twentieth century dairy farm. The pastoral setting evokes the rural landscape and serves as a significant backdrop to the agricultural heritage portrayed by historic resources on the farmstead. The farmfs history mirrors that of many family-owned farms that operated in the rural areas surrounding the growing population of southeast Michigan. In addition, it also portrays aspects of the early settlement era (1830s) when small, one-and-one half story timber frame homes were built in the Greek Revival style; and of the 1940s period when the development of the Willow Run Bomber Plant to the south necessitated the removal of the some of the farm structures to the current site.

uss_washtenaw,jpgUSS Washtenaw County Artifacts (Study Committee Report)
220 N. Main Street, Ann Arbor - Designated 1978

Launched in 1952, the USS Washtenaw County (LST-1166) was a tank landing ship of the Atlantic Fleet based at Little Creek, Virginia. Having served in the Atlantic as well as the Pacific, including Vietnam, the Washtenaw County was deactivated in August 1973 after earning 16 Battle Stars and two Presidential Unit Citations for Vietnam War service. The memorabilia include a model and photograph, the shipfs bell, wheel, service ribbons and commendations, identification plate and a log of its service.

19_Jarvis-Stone-School.jpgJarvis Stone School (Study Committee Report)
7991 N. Territorial, Plymouth- Designated 2013

Jarvis Stone School is a one room stone school house built in 1857 and continually operated as a school until 1967. About 10 years after it closed, the school was sold to the Salem Historical Society and is now used as their offices. The Historical Society performed major renovations to both the interior and exterior of the building in 1995.



Document Actions
Google Translate