You are here: Home Government Departments Building Inspection Expedited Permits

Expedited Permits

What is an Expedited Permit?

Expedited (or "Over-the-Counter") Permits are permits that are expedited through the plan review process. They are available for minor projects that are considered "accessory residential structures". No commercial properties are included in this service. Examples of expedited permit projects include:

Where do I go?

You must come to the Western Washtenaw County Service Center, located 705 North Zeeb Road in Ann Arbor (see location page).

What do I need to bring with me?

You must submit the following:

  1. Zoning Compliance Permit
    This permit from your loal municipality, which includes your property I.D. number from your tax statement, tells the Building Department that the location and use of your construction project has been approved by your township or village. It is not a permit to build. It is not an approval of your plans.

  2. Two (2) sets of plans signed and/or stamped by the Zoning Official.
    All plans must be drawn to scale, and must show footings, elevations, cross-sectional views, location of doors and wondows, structural elements, and enough plan views to show what is being constructed (including floor plans). Before and after floor plans are also required for fire repairs, remodels or alterations to existing residential or commercial buildings. Plans must show dimensions and lumber sizes, spans and intervals. Lists of building materials and specifications will not be accepted in lieu of plans. Drawings that do not show lumber sizes and dimensions will not be accepted as plans.

  3. Environmental Health Approval.
    Washtenaw County Planning & Environment - Development Services Division requires a Water Supply and/or Sewage Disposal Permit. Approval is either a permit or a memo to approve the type of sewage disposal and/or water supply you plan to use. It is not a plumbing permit or sewer permit. It may be required for non-habitable construction, such as a garage or a deck. It is always required for habitable construction. For complete information, call Planning & Environment at 734-222-3800.

  4. Two complete site plans.
    Two site plans clearly indicating all structures, any setback, any new structures and any additions, location of well(s), drainfield(s), and drainfield expansion area(s), if applicable. Site Plans must show elevation markings, and where the water runoff will go. Site plans must be scaled at 1 inch equals 40 feet or larger.

  5. Application for Building Permit.
    You must include the address where the construction will take place. A lot number is not sufficient. Specific directions to the site must be included. Note: The person who is applying for the permit must appear in person, or have a letter of authorization or power of attorney from the owner.

  6. Appropriate Fee.

  7. Other requirements, as applicable:

  • Contractor's License - Licensed contractors must bring their licenses and register them with Building Inspection.
  • Soil Erosion Permit - If you are building within 500 feet of surface water (lakes, ponds, streams, drains, wetlands) or if you are disturbing more than one acre of land, you must have this permit. The application, which includes all requirements for this permit, is available at the Building Inspection counter.
  • Structural Design Loads and Calculations - For all commercial plans.
  • Occupant Load - For commercial plans where applicable.
  • Construction Classification and Use Group- Required to be shown on commercial plans.
  • Architect Seal and Signature - Required for residential construction with building area in excess of 3,500 square feet.

For more information, contact the 
Building Department for your jurisdiction.

Document Actions
Google Translate