Washtenaw County ID Card Program
Hours of operation for the County ID Card Program are Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Washtenaw County Identification Card is a photo ID available to Washtenaw County residents age 14 and older. It is intended to provide a means of proving residency in the County for the purpose of accessing County programs, services and activities, and providing identification to law enforcement. The Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners established the County ID Card Program Policy by resolution 14-00174 on November 19, 2014.
The Washtenaw County ID Card can:
- Serve as proof of identity and residency where accepted
- Include an alert that a card holder may have a medical condition
- List an emergency contact
The ID contains the following information:
- The applicant's full legal name
- A preferred name if the applicant is commonly known by a name other than their legal name
- Date of birth
- Height & eye color
- Card issue and expiration date
- ID Number
The ID has the following security features to thwart replication or counterfeiting:
- Embedded holographic foil stamp of county seal
- Variable florescent/UV print of county seal & cardholder name (viewable under black light)
- Magnetic stripe and 2-D bar code containing cardholder information
- "Ghosted” photograph of cardholder
Confidentiality and Additional Information
- The County Clerk’s Office shall keep confidential, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable laws, the name and other identifying information of persons applying for and receiving County Identification Cards, but cannot guarantee privacy in all circumstances. Such information may be subject to release if compelled by a court of competent jurisdiction or otherwise required by law.
- Although private businesses and entities may choose to accept the County ID Card, they are not required to do so.
- County departments and any entity that receives County funds shall accept a County Identification Card as valid identification unless the County department or entity has reasonable grounds for determining that the card is counterfeit, altered, or improperly issued to the card holder, or that the individual presenting the card is not the individual to whom it was issued. This section is not intended to replace any other existing requirements for issuance of other forms of identification in connection with the administration of County benefits and services: The requirements of this section do not apply under circumstances where:
- A federal or state statute, administration regulation or directive, or court decision requires the County or entity that receives County funds to obtain different identification or proof residence,
- A federal or state statute of administrative regulation or directive preempts local regulation of identification or residency requirements. Or,
- The County or entity that receives County funds would be unable to comply with a condition imposed by a funding source, which would cause the County or such entity to lose funds from that source.