Marriage Application Information
Marriage License Applications accepted until 4:00 P.M. at 200 North Main Street, Suite 100, Vital Records, Ann Arbor, Michigan, phone 734-222-6720.
1. Men and women 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parents consent. Persons 16 and 17 must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent listed on the birth certificate, who must appear at the time of application, will be required. Valid identification of parent is required.
2. For purposes of marriage application, residency is determined by a current, valid drivers license or State issued ID card.
3. If one person is a Washtenaw County resident, you may apply in our office. The license is valid throughout the state.
4. If both persons are out-of-state residents, they must apply in the county where they are to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
5. The following is required of BOTH PERSONS at the time of application:
A. Valid Drivers license or State-issued ID showing a correct address.
B. Birth certificate (only certificates issued by a government office; not a hospital certificate).
C. Social Security Card (if card is not available, you must know the number) if an applicant does not have a Social Security Number they must appear in person.
Foreign born persons; in addition to State issued ID, or Drivers License (if available), must have one of the following:
a. Valid passport, U.S. or Foreign (with acceptable visa status, if applicable)
b. Green card
c. Naturalization Papers
d. Canadian or Mexican born persons may use their birth certificates (if translated)
6. One or both applicants must appear to apply for the marriage license. If only one applicant is present, they must have all items listed above for both persons. Photocopies (front and back) of drivers license and birth certificate for applicant that is not present will be accepted.
7. Fee per couple: $20.00 Michigan Resident(s)
$30.00 Out-of-State Residents Marriage MUST occur in Washtenaw County
**Premarital counseling or testing is no longer required**
1. The marriage license becomes valid on the 3rd day following application.
2. License is NOT available for pick up on weekends or legal holidays
3. The marriage ceremony must be performed within 33 days of application
4. A list of judges, magistrates and mayors who perform marriages in Washtenaw County is available upon request.
5. Additional information or documentation may be required before this office will complete the marriage license application.
6. If you have further questions please call 734-222-6720.
7. Certified copies should be available 7-10 business days after date of marriage.
Washtenaw County Clerk/Register