How to Balance
The enormity of the projected deficit requires adjustments from every aspect of the County's budget. There are four areas that, in combination, must help close the budget deficit, now estimated at $26 million for 2010/2011.
- Budget Balancing Options - A broader overview of possible areas for reduction or other adjustment to close the projected $26M defcit for 2010/2011
- Four areas, four ways, to adjust the budget and close the $26 million gap in the 2010/11 budget
Revenue growth and reform - Make every effort to enhance all current revenue opportunities for the services we provide and find, or create, new revenue sources to help offset our costs.
- Revenue Reform and Revenue Projections, presentation at the Board of Commissioners on February 18
2. Employee benefits and compensation - These make up more than 60% of the County's expenses and will need to be part of any Budget adjustment plan. This area will involve our unions, and may be subject to contract re-negotiation.
4. Major Structural adjustments - Possible changes to the way wefre organized and how we deliver services that will reduce our costs. This category includes the possibility of reducing budgets beyond 20%, reducing non general fund appropriations, eliminating whole programs and reducing funding to outside agencies